Saturday, June 12, 2010

Double Header.


That’s exactly what today was. Two orphanages in one day? Phew.

After morning devotions at MTU, we loaded up in Ura’s van and headed out to Romaniv. Having been there for the first time just a week ago, I knew what to expect which in turn allowed me to be excited and not nervous. It has been ridiculously hot the past few days but the ride out there was actually very pleasant.

When we arrived, we were greeted by seven or eight boys in little tank tops and shorts who were very excited to see us. The visit was great, everyone seemed a little more boisterous than usual and there were some new faces:



The Oksana’s did their lesson for the two classes and everyone got to play and make bracelets:
I love looking at their hand-crafted creations:




I wish you could see their reactions when they see their faces on the camera. It’s priceless. I’d take their pictures all day if it meant I could watch the smiles appear on their faces like that.



I also saw my friend from last week. He didn’t invite me to come play this time, but as I watched him from across the room, I wished I could have. He just sat there, really non-responsive and completely still and quiet.  I just wanted with all my heart to take him somewhere where he could feel safe and comfortable enough to come out of his shell and smile and play and be loved. I want to see him be happy and see him smile. I want him to feel a hug, and attention and interest.
He is the sweetest little boy and I just know he would thrive under some tender loving care. Great. Now I’m crying. It just hurt my heart so badly to see him sit there alone with no one to even learn how to try to communicate with him. I mean, the MTU people come and get him to play with them sometimes and it’s so great, but he needs so much more than that. With some care and love he could open up. I don’t even know his name but he has completely grabbed my heart.

I want a family for him. A home. Love. Care.

I know he belongs somewhere.

He deserves to belong somewhere.

They all do.



When it was time to move to the other room, with the more severely disabled kids, it was like walking into another world. The other building is just completely heart-wrenching. Walking down the hallway you see one child huddled on a bench with his hands and arms and legs wrapped in a bandage, there’s another huddled in a wheelchair right outside the door, some sitting on the floor as we pass by, one with no clothes on.

While Oksana does the lesson, I go with Barry, Oksana and Dima to the next room. We got to talk to precious Dima for a little bit about his situation. He has cerebral palsy, but is mentally healthy. Due to his physical disabilities, the orphanage caretakers assume he has a mental disability as well. Over time, the people from MTU have found out that he is mentally sharp and could learn to think better if there were just people there to talk to him. So we had a really nice chat with him, and I think everyone should be ready for a great article from Barry explaining it all. Was that a secret? I hope not. I just hope everyone reads it.

After that, we played with the kids after their lesson:




When it was time to go, we realized we hadn’t seen Ura the whole time. Turns out he just decided to help the men across the street harvest some hay. In 90 degree weather. He’s amazing.

After a delicious lunch at MTU, the four of us and Masha headed to a baby orphanage. I believe the official name is “The House of the Child.” Or something. I kind of expected the worst, and to be coming back with a child that evening. Turns out, I was wrong on both accounts.

This place was incredible. All sorts of therapy rooms, toys, high tech equipment and materials and theories. It was crazy. We thought it must have been privately owned, but it was still government run. Apparently the director, Svetlana just has an amazing heart for the place and has put her life into making it this way. It’s honestly incredible.

Needless to say, I did hold a baby. She smiled at me. It was awful. I want her. Just so precious. We played with the little ones who didn’t cry at our presence. It was great.

It was all that was in me not to run away with sweet lil baby in my arms. Or with all of them.
When we got back in the evening, there was a meeting for all the camp volunteers and I am oh so excited about it! The meeting just got me so pumped. I can’t wait!

Anyways, I’m sorry I didn’t post today, but it was pretty busy. I’ll try to do it all this weekend.
We’ve got a team day tomorrow (yes, mcdonald’s too) and two churches on Sunday because we’re visiting with Tanya and Dima. So that’ll be fun.

Also, I’m a real Ukrainian. I drank kefeir and didn’t throw up. Look it up.

Goodnight,
Lauren.

4 comments:

  1. you can participate in the Kafir chugging contest at camp now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tried the sissy store-bought version of kefir. Try the homemade kind sometime. We're talking chunks the size of Texas and a keesly (sour) taste like you've never even dreamt of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i was there soooo badly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, such a precious post about the kids. It makes me wish you could bring a couple home for our family. We know personally what some tender, loving care will do for an orphan.

    You drank kefir?????? I didn't think you would have it in you. I never could do that. blahhhh. I almost threw up looking at Chris's picture of it.

    Love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete