Friday, June 18, 2010

i love forgetting what day it is.


Today is Friday, though. 
And today was the dedication of the new playground and yard at MTU!
It looks so beautiful even thought I don’t have anything to compare it to, like to what it used to be. Either way, everything about the little ceremony was wonderful. The kids from the classes gave a special skit – which I videotaped and will try to post because if you watch it and don’t cry then you can get outta town. It was the best thing of my life. And also they recognized the construction workers and contractors which I think is so cool because they got to see what they were a part of in putting this place together. Its seriously insane.

It was so cool to see such a mighty work come into being through God’s hand and to know without a doubt that it is going to be used to bless his children. It’s so encouraging.

And then we got to play with kids and eat and just relax for a little while. There was tons of food and I shoved my face with coke and éclairs, obviously.

The first American team got here yesterday, so everything is new and exciting and all getting ready for day camps and stuff. It’s fun!

The first day was today and it was great. I recognized some faces from when I was around Bible studies and groups and things like that. I’m really excited to get to talk to some of the ladies and here the stories they have to tell.

So today was one of those days that I could’ve just busted into tears several times. One time was watching the kids rehearse their skit. They’re a group of disabled kids that go to school at MTU and they are from ages 5-8 maybe? That’s an estimate. But just watching them melted my heart into a giant puddle on the floor.

Honestly the sweetest and happiest and most precious children you’ve ever seen, just laughing and smiling and listening to Oksana. And like I love just watching them and watching their mothers take care of them and hold them – which is something in and of itself, these little ones actually have mothers who love them. But all of a sudden my heart was gone when I saw this little boy try to walk and how much effort and help it took him to go just a couple steps. And the other kids who, due to physical disabilities just can’t even control their bodies. It’s completely heartbreaking. The skit was so precious and they got up and said their lines and at the very end, they all shouted “thank you!” in Russian (or Ukrainian, I’m not sure) and I almost lost it.

It’s just one of those things, like they didn’t do anything to deserve having a disability, they didn’t get to choose or anything. And like so much of it just doesn’t make sense to me – why would the most precious child have to live a life confined to this set of limitations, just because that’s the way it is?
And why is it not me? How is it that I was born into the situation I was and in the healthy body that I have?

And I mean, trust me, I am thankful for the insane amount of blessings the Lord has given me – my life and my body included, but it’s just honestly something I think about.

Life’s just not fair, I guess. Apparently that’s just what it boils down to.

I long for the day that these sweet souls will have a perfect body and can run and jump and play – what a glorious sight that will be! I can’t wait. There is nothing better than watching little kids run around carefree and with no inhibitions. That day will happen, even for all the kids that didn’t get to do that here and now.

I mean, picture that in your head. Can’t.wait.

Anyways, so between that and the camp meeting when Maksim went through all the disabilities we’ll be encountering at camp, I just thought a lot about that today.

But I know that God is good, and I can see it in the playground at MTU. These ladies and men have given these kids and women and mothers a place to be loved, a shelter, a place for relaxation and support – and it’s all been done through God’s hand. How beautiful!

So yeah, today was good. And of course Ira made a delicious dinner and I’m sitting here full and happy and ready for day 2 of day camps.

Also I think I’m listening to a couple fight outside, I think a girl is crying. Not okay, I’m gonna close the window – I’m creeping myself out.

Anyways, its late and I’m tired.

Thank you all for caring about what I have to say. I mean, I assume that but I hope it’s true. Because hopefully you get some sort of a glimpse into the love of Christ, because I sure am.

Love you all!
Lauren.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I love your posts! I don't get on everyday..but when I do...I love your chatter..random thoughts...your expressions...you make me laugh! Rub pastor Peters hair for me...ask Don about this...and them do it...and say "Chyrise sents her love to you!!!" Thanks....if Peter doesn't laugh blame it on me??!!!

    ReplyDelete