Monday, June 7, 2010

Sunday Night.



Today was very wonderful. After church, we went to this little French café and had pastries and coffee. It was just me and Ira and Barry, but we ran into the rest of the gang for a little bit. It was so nice to just sit and chat and the weather was beautiful. I think I will need to go back there.

So my new favorite thing here is garlic. Like, I really mean garlic. Like the whole clove. They just chomp right into it with borsch or bread even. I tried it, and it is deeelicious, and totally worth the wicked bad breath. Also, Ira is wonderful because she gives me cold kompot and sometimes even with ice. What a gem. Also, kompot is my other new favorite thing. It’s a type of tea-juice drink. You make it by boiling fruit in water. I’m going to find some delicious recipes for it and make it at home. Get ready.

I made my Russian/Ukrainian alphabet flashcards. This language is slightly impossible. There is literally a letter that makes the sound  “shch.” Really? One letter sounds one way in Russian and something completely different in Ukrainian but the same sound is in another letter that is the opposite of what it is in the other language. Yeah that didn’t make sense but its fine because that’s kind of the point.

Anyways, I have to do a devotional tomorrow morning for the MTU staff. When will they learn how awkward I am at this kind of stuff? I also have to give a devotional/testimony thing at a meeting for the pregnant women. Honestly, for their own good, why me?

So MTU is a 30 minute walk from Ira’s apartment so I think I’m going to wear my sporty shoes tomorrow. How exciting! Also I need to find a map or something because it is pretty much inevitable that I will get lost at some point in time. I mean, I go the wrong way on a daily basis is Indy and I’ve lived there my whole life. It’s embarrassing.

Also I found out today that I’m legitimately terrified of pigeons. All I can think of is how Kris calls them “rats with wings” and they let you get centimeters from them and then start frantically flapping their wings. Like I know one day its going to fly straight into my face and I’m going to get a thousand diseases and its going to be so gross and creepy. I hate them. And I look like a fool whenever I run away from them, but I can’t help it.

My fingers smell so strongly of garlic because I helped with dinner (so domestic, even though it took me 15 minutes to peel a zucchini and chop the garlic).

Also, Ira’s internet is out for a few days so I’ll do some posting tomorrow at MTU because I got my very own Ethernet cord.

I just wrote my intro article so get excited! They’ll be up within the week.
Also I just remembered how funny 30 rock is.

Kbyeeeeee!
Lorn

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHy did Kris say that SOOOOOOOOOO many times???????????? THat's Creepy in and of itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can learn the language and EXCELLENT job on the devotionals! I am wondering if you do them in English, I guess you do since you just said you are trying to learn the Ukrainian lang. Yes, Stay away from the rats with wings;) Oh and I love garlic too but ya that taste for days is repulsive to those around me:( Darn! Love you! Aunt Julie
    1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that YOU may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness and into HIS wonderful light!!!! GO DO IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should record yourself giving devotionals so we can see it in action. I'm sure it's great. They love setting Americans up like that. I was never one of the lucky ones last year who got to lead devotionals, but I was willing to "pull a Hannah" and lay in my room crying all day next to an empty bucket if worse came to worse and they wanted me to speak in front of people. So I admire your courage.

    And just wait until camp to judge the food. And just wait until camp to judge the food. And just wait until camp to judge the food. And just wait until camp to judge the food.

    thought i'd say something as many times as Kris, just using less space. :)

    more photos please. I recognize some of those boys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tyler and I couldn't decide which was worse - 10 comments by me or 10 comments that said "this post removed by author." I feel like "this post removed by author" might be better. I was getting more and more embarrassed reading my same comment over and over and over again. Thanks for deleting them. I learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete