Saturday, June 5, 2010

Privyet!

First of all - hello from Ukraine! How crazy is it that as I am writing this, it's 10:30 p.m. and everyone reading this will either be a) laying out at the pool (Kris), or b) finishing up a day of work (that includes nannying). Anyways, I suppose I should ask you all to disregard my lack of an aesthetically pleasing design as it apparently looks like someone threw up a a bowl of fruit on the layout. I guess wordpress is the cool thing to do, but I'm sticking with this and my color choice that may or may not resemble that of Barney and Baby Bop. It's fine.

*sidenote: I am posting this a day later than when I wrote it. Just for clarification's sake.

I haven't written a post yet due to the fact that we haven't had a consistent internet or sleep schedule, but hopefully both will be better in the next several days and as the summer continues. Also, I really wanted a chance to be able to organize my thoughts about what we have already experienced and what we have yet to experience.

The trip here was relatively easy, besides the fact that I was the only one to get my luggage at the airport. The others got theirs today and are very happy about their newfound cleanlines. (As am I). (Kidding). (But seriously). We are staying at Hotel Zhytomyr right now and are moving to our separate host families on Saturday. The hotel is nicer than I expected, it's actually not gross at all and I have slept like a rock so far, but maybe that's the Ambien talking.

I guess I'll start off by explaining one key aspect of my adventure - the people. In case of stories, or maybe just so you can know the people I'll be with every day, here they are. I may misspell names and not know all the specifics yet, but that will change. My new Ukrainian friends:

-Ira: Director of Mission to Ukraine. I'll be staying at her apartment with her. She is a sweet, kind and gentle woman who obviously knows how to get things done. I am soo excited to get to know her.

-Tanya: Works at MTU (not exactly sure of her specific position, but she has studied communcations at University and does the newsletter and many other things). Kind and serving, and offers her help in anything at any time. She's also one of our wonderful translators.

-Yulia: Works at MTU (again, not completely sure of her exact title). She is so funny and has made us all feel completely at home halfway across the world.

-Oksana (little): Works at MTU as well, obviously. It sounds a little weird saying 'little' or 'big' but its the truth, she's tiny. Also so funny (Her favorite jokes are blaming everything on Chernobyl. Barry told her that in America we might say,"too soon?"). She loves to explain the Ukrainian people to us and has an incredible heart for the kids she works with.

-Oksana (big): Works primarily with the disabled kids at MTU. She was actually a camper at an MTU camp with some of her children and came to work and know the Lord through this organization. She is now a staff member and a wonderful person to be around. She speaks the least amount of English, but its coming along very well, I've heard!

-Olya: Volunteer at MTU. When we first met Olya, she told us she spoke English and that she studies Occupational Therapy (non-existent in Ukraine) at the University of Indianapolis. I was extremely confused and considering the fact that she spoke perfect English with no accent, I actually thought she was from Indianapolis. I was baffled when she said she was from Zhytomyr. It's crazy and awesome. She came with us to the orphanage and it is so obvious that the Lord has called her to work with disabled children. she is so helpful and nice and it's so wonderful to be able to have normal conversation with her. I hope to see her around much more!

-Ura: We met him today when he drove us out to the orphanage, and even thought I might not ever see him again, he is worth a paragraph on this list. Ura is one of the most genuine and Christ-like men I have ever encountered. It's almost ridiculous for me to say that about someone whose language I don't even speak, but what Oksana translated for us was incredible. If you have followed World Next Door in the past year or so, you'll have read a story about Peter from the orphanage who was adopted, and it was Ura and his family who took Peter in. You must read that story and the follow up that is coming soon. In the van on the way back, we all started talking about goof things and Chris (one of the interns), asked everyone what their top 4 dreams were. Mine were of course silly things, but when Ura told his, it kind of blew me away. I realized the vast difference in values this culture has than ours. Everything he said was in regard to the physical and spiritual well being of his family. He said nothing for himself. I just really think this is something that is lost in our society and I take that value for granted so often. Not only with my own family, whom i love dearly, but just in the general low ranking of famililal well being on our list of priorities. Their mindest is so much more communal and family oriented than individualistic. The one thing that I remember him saying was that his family was "a little paradise on earth." I just have so much respect for that idea and genuine love. I want it for my family and myself. And maybe this just all sounds really cliche and mushy, but it's one thing that really struck me, and we all have family, so maybe you can forgive me.

-Natasha: Works at MTU, the crisis pregnancy part. I met with her today and she is one of the main people I'll be working with this summer. I am so excited to learn about her and her incredible ministry!

So I guess that's most of the people I've met so far. 

I have more to tell, so when you get overwhelmed by the amount of words to read, remember that I warned you.

Love you all!

Lauren 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment